HOW TO WASH / CLEAN AN ELECTRIC SCOOTER WITHOUT KILLING IT! – XIAOMI M365
Keeping your scooter clean might be trickier than you may thing, so in today’s post I will be showing you how to wash your scooter without damaging it in the process.
Scooters are packed with electronics and as we all know, those don’t get along well with water. The man had no clue what could have caused it, though a few minutes later he did mention that he washed the scooter in his bath tub.
Needless to say we had to replace most of the electronic components in the scooter to make it work again. The water bricked the controller and damaged the battery (though luckily we were able to restore it). Water causes short circuits and corrodes the electrical contacts, which is why it’s critical to keep it away from anything electronic.
Aren’t Scooters Waterproof?
Before I move any further, I am not here to spread panic or fake “awareness”. Water does not magically kill a scooter upon contact. Some scooters come waterproof so you can wash or even submerge them. It’s all about their IPX Rating.
Pro Tip: Knowing the IPX rating of your scooter will also help you to figure out whether it is safe to ride it under rain or not.
IPX rating is the marking that describes the level of protection against dust, water, and ingress of other particles or fluids. Not all scooters come with water protection. Those that do will have that written down somewhere in the specs. If the rating is high enough, it will be listed as one of the key features.
- As a general rule, scooters with the IPX5 and IPX6 ratings are considered water resistant. You can wash them with a wet towel and a small water jet.
- Scooters marked IPX7 are 100% waterproof and can be fully immersed in water for up to 30 minutes, up to 1 meter (~3 feet) deep.
How to wash your Xiaomi M365 with Water?
Note: You might NOT want to do this if your scooter is still in warranty! Disassembling the scooter will void warranty.
- Step 1: Remove the wheels
- Step 2: Remove the controller and battery
- Step 3: Make sure you removed any other electrical part the scooter has, including the lights. If that’s your first time doing that, you can take photos of the process so it will be easier for you to assemble everything back. Also, sorting the pieces by category will make the task easier too.
- Step 4: Place the frame in the bath tub and wash it
- Step 5: Let it dry for at least 12 hours to make sure there is no water left that could later come in contact with the electronics.
How to wash your Xiaomi M365 without Water?
Here’s what you can do if you don’t want to disassemble your scooter or don’t have a bath tub. Start by removing the big chunks of mud with a dry toothbrush / paint brush and a dry piece of cloth. Then, use a microfiber cloth with window cleaner spray to bring the shine back.
This method will not remove the dirt from those hard-to-access spots (like the inside of the fork), however it’s less intrusive and easier to perform.
Xiaomi M365 Washed in Bath Tub!
Hope you found this little guide useful, make sure to follow this blog for more interesting and useful tips and honest reviews!